Scholar Athlete - Rules
Who Can Enter
1. To be eligible to participate in this contest, Scholar Athletes of the Week must 1) reside in the KABB-TV and KMYS-TV viewing area, 2) be currently enrolled as a senior at one of the High Schools (as defined below), AND 3) be an active member in one or more of the High School’s athletic programs or teams (i.e., football, soccer, cheerleading, etc.).
Participating High Schools: Warren High School, MacArthur High School, Alamo Heights High School, Clark High School, Pleasanton High School, Lanier High School, Holmes High School, Marshall High School, Brandeis High School, Stevens High School, Brennan High School, Brackenridge High School, Jay High School, Taft High School, Southwest High School, East Central High School, Steele High School, Canyon Lake High School and Boerne High School (collectively, the “High Schools”).
2. Employees of Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., Sinclair Television Group, Inc., San Antonio Television, LLC, and any other company which owns, programs or provides other services to television broadcast stations KMYS-TV and, KABB-TV, (collectively the “Stations”), the High Schools, Church’s Chicken, Pepsi Co., Walmart, World Car Kia, their affiliated companies, advertising and promotion agencies, any and all local television broadcast and cable stations, local radio and other media companies, and the immediate family members of each are ineligible. The term “immediate families” includes spouses, grandparents, parents, siblings, children and grandchildren.
How to Enter
(a) No purchase is necessary to enter. Only one entry per household.
(b) Each of the High Schools’ athletic directors, teachers, counselors and/or principals will select one (1) high school athlete (either male or female) to be the Scholar Athlete of the Week for the High School. The High Schools’ Scholars of the Week must be received by the Stations by August 23, 2012. Scholar Athletes of the Week must sign appearance releases, which must be received by August 30, 2012.
(c) Each Thursday from August 30, 2012 to November 1, 2012, two of the High Schools will participate in the “Church’s Chicken Thursday Night Lights” high school football game which airs on KMYS at 7:00pm CT. The Scholar Athletes of the Week from each of the High Schools playing that week will be featured as the Scholar Athletes of the Week for their respective school, and will be recognized on air during halftime of a Thursday Night Lights game broadcast and also on High School to the Max on FOX 29.
(d) Each Scholar Athlete of the Week will be entered to win the Scholar Athlete of the Year Scholarship (the “Scholarship”) if they qualify. To qualify to win the Scholarship, each Scholar Athlete of the Week must submit a 500 word essay to the Stations explaining why he/she should be the Scholar Athlete of the Year and win the Scholarship. A panel of 3 judges will determine the Scholar Athlete of the Year based on the following criteria: (i) 25% Grade Point Average/Academic standing, (ii) 25% Athletic Achievement, (iii) 25% Community Activities, and (iv) 25% Why they deserve the Scholarship explained in the Scholar Athlete’s submitted essay. If any Scholar Athlete of the Week does not complete and submit their essay by November 12, 2012, then the Scholar Athlete of the Week will be disqualified. Essay entries shall be mailed to FOX 29 & CW 35 TV, Attn: Jessica Rios, 4335 NW Loop 410, San Antonio, TX 78229. Station is not responsible for lost, late, or misdirected mail/entries or for printing errors. The winner will be announced on December 3, 2012 on FOX News First.
(e) By submitting an essay, entrants represent that the essay is their own original work, and portions of the essay or the essay in its entirety may be used by the Stations in any and all media.
(f) All entries received that are mutilated, tampered with, illegible, or from ineligible entrants will be void. All entries including essays) become the property of Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., Sinclair Television Group, Inc. and the Stations and will not be acknowledged or returned.
1. Each of the nineteen (19) Scholar Athletes of the Week will receive a certificate of recognition valued at $20.00 and will be featured during Halftime of a Thursday Night Lights game broadcast and also will appear on High School to the Max on FOX 29. One (1) 2012 World Car Kia Scholar Athlete of the Year will receive a plaque valued at $50.00, and receive a five-thousand dollar ($5,000) scholarship to the college or university he/she plans to attend. The check for scholarship will be payable to the college/university of choice for the benefit of the winner.
2. The winners will be notified by phone. The winners must sign and return a release and affidavit of eligibility, which must be received within four (4) days of notification. If a winner is a minor, then the winner’s parents or guardian must sign a release and affidavit of eligibility before the winner receives his or her prize. The winner must show picture identification to claim prizes. Station reserves the right to examine additional identification and may choose to accept or deny awarding the prize based on the identification presented.
3. If the Scholar Athlete of the Year winner cannot be notified within two (2) days, does not timely return the affidavit of eligibility or claim the prize, then the prize may be awarded to an alternate winner, as determined by the judges and the Stations in their sole and absolute discretion.
4. There will be no substitutions or cash alternatives for prizes except at the sole discretion of Station. The Station has the right to substitute a prize of similar value. No transfer or assignment of prizes is allowed.
5. The winners are responsible for paying all local, county, state and federal taxes on prizes based on the estimated retail value of the prizes as set forth in these rules.
6. Only one prize will be awarded per household. Contestants are eligible to win only one prize within any 30 day period, regardless of the number of contests entered.
7. San Antonio Television, LLC, Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. and Sinclair Television Group, Inc. are not liable if the provider of any part of the prize fails to satisfy its obligations to furnish its portion of the prize.
8. San Antonio Television, LLC, Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. and Sinclair Television Group, Inc. are not responsible for any liabilities arising directly or indirectly from the award or use of the prize.
9. In claiming your prize, you acknowledge that San Antonio Television, LLC, Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. and Sinclair Television Group, Inc. have the right to publicize your name, character, likeness, photograph, voice and the fact that you are the winner for promotional purposes without financial remuneration.
Odds of Winning/Miscellaneous
1. Complete contest rules are available Monday through Friday during normal business hours at KABB/KMYS 4335 NW Loop 410, San Antonio, Texas 78229 or at www.cw35.tv.
2. For a list of prize winners, send a separate, self-addressed, stamped envelope to KABB/KMYS 4335 NW Loop 410, San Antonio, Texas 78229 Attn: Scholar Athlete of the Year by December 14, 2012.
3. This contest is subject to all applicable laws and regulations and is void where prohibited. Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., Sinclair Television Group, Inc., San Antonio Television, LLC and sponsor(s) accept no responsibility or liability in connection with any injuries, losses or damages of any kind caused by or resulting from the acceptance, possession or use of any prize awarded hereunder.
4. Stations cannot be held liable for any lost or stolen entries, prizes or contest information.
5. Stations reserve the right to make rules and contest changes and change the aforementioned contest dates.