SCHOLAR ATHLETE RULES
Who Can Enter
1. To be eligible to participate in this contest, Scholar Athletes of the Week must 1) reside in the KMYS, KABB, and WOAI viewing area, 2) be currently enrolled as a senior at one of the High Schools (as defined below), 3) be an active member in one or more of the High School’s athletic programs or teams (i.e., football, soccer, cheerleading, etc.), AND 4) have a minimum 90 GPA on a 100 point scale.
Participating High Schools (the “High Schools”): Clark High School, Churchill High School, Smithson Valley High School, Brennan High School, Samuel Clemens High School, Stevens High School, Antonian High School, Boerne High School, John Jay High School, O’Connor High School, Highlands High School, Sam Houston High School, McCollum High School, Brackenridge High School, Marshall High School, Holmes High School, Warren High School, Taft High School, Johnson High School, and MacArthur High School (collectively, the “High Schools”).
2. Employees of Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., Sinclair Television Group, Inc., San Antonio Television, LLC and any other company which owns, programs or provides other services to television broadcast stations KMYS, KABB and WOAI (collectively the “Stations”), the High Schools, Church’s Chicken, Baptist Emergency Hospital, their affiliated companies, advertising and promotion agencies, any and all local television broadcast and cable stations, local radio and other media companies, and the immediate family members of each are ineligible. The term “immediate family” includes spouses, grandparents, parents, siblings, children and grandchildren.
How to Enter
(a) No purchase is necessary to enter. Only one entry per household.
(b) Each of the High Schools’ athletic directors, teachers, counselors and/or principals will select one (1) high school athlete (either male or female) to be the Scholar Athlete of the Week for the High School. The High Schools’ Scholars of the Week must be received by the Stations by August 25, 2014. Scholar Athletes of the Week must sign appearance releases, which must be received by August 28, 2014.
(c) Each Thursday from August 28, 2014 to November 6, 2014, except October 2, 2014, two of the High Schools will participate in the “Church’s Chicken Thursday Night Lights” high school football game which airs on KMYS at 7:00pm CT. The Scholar Athletes of the Week from each of the High Schools playing that week will be featured as the Scholar Athletes of the Week for their respective school, and will be recognized on air during halftime of a Thursday Night Lights game broadcast.
(d) Each Scholar Athlete of the Week will be eligible to win the Scholar Athlete of the Year Scholarship (the “Scholarship”) if they qualify. To qualify to win the Scholarship, each Scholar Athlete of the Week must submit a 500 word essay to the Stations explaining why he/she should be the Scholar Athlete of the Year and win the Scholarship. A panel of 3 judges will determine the Scholar Athlete of the Year based on the following criteria: (i) 25% Grade Point Average/Academic standing, (ii) 25% Athletic Achievement, (iii) 25% Community Activities, and (iv) 25% Why they deserve the Scholarship explained in the Scholar Athlete’s submitted essay. If any Scholar Athlete of the Week does not complete and submit their essay by November 11, 2013, then the Scholar Athlete of the Week will be disqualified. Essay entries shall be mailed to KMYS/KABB/WOAI, Attn: Abigail Leija, 4335 NW Loop 410, San Antonio, TX 78229 or emailed to email@example.com. Station is not responsible for lost, late, or misdirected mail/entries or for printing errors. The winner will be announced on December 12, 2014 on KABB FOX News First.
(e) By submitting an essay, entrants represent that the essay is their own original work, and portions of the essay or the essay in its entirety may be used by the Stations in any and all media.
(f) All entries received that are mutilated, tampered with, illegible, or from ineligible entrants will be void. All entries including essays) become the property of Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., Sinclair Television Group, Inc. and the Stations and will not be acknowledged or returned.
1. Each of the twenty (20) Scholar Athletes of the Week will receive a certificate of recognition valued at $20.00 and will be featured during Halftime of a Thursday Night Lights game broadcast. One (1) 2014 San Antonio Sports Scholar Athlete of the Year will receive a plaque valued at $50.00, and receive a five-thousand dollar ($5,000) scholarship to the college or university he/she plans to attend. The check for scholarship will be payable to the college/university of choice of the winner for the benefit of the winner.
2. The winners will be notified by phone. The winners must sign and return a release and affidavit of eligibility, which must be received within four (4) days of notification. If a winner is a minor, then the winner’s parents or guardian must sign a release and affidavit of eligibility before the winner receives his or her prize. The winner must show picture identification to claim prizes. Station reserves the right to examine additional identification and may choose to accept or deny awarding the prize based on the identification presented.
3. If the Scholar Athlete of the Year winner cannot be notified within two (2) days, does not timely return the affidavit of eligibility or claim the prize, then the prize may be awarded to an alternate winner as determined by the judges and the Stations in their sole and absolute discretion.
4. There will be no substitutions or cash alternatives for prizes except at the sole discretion of Station. The Station has the right to substitute a prize of similar value. No transfer or assignment of prizes is allowed.
5. The winners are responsible for paying all local, county, state and federal taxes on prizes based on the estimated retail value of the prizes as set forth in these rules.
6. Only one prize will be awarded per household. Contestants are eligible to win only one prize within any 30 day period, regardless of the number of contests entered.
7. San Antonio Television, LLC, Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. and Sinclair Television Group, Inc. are not liable if the provider of any part of the prize fails to satisfy its obligations to furnish its portion of the prize.
8. San Antonio Television, LLC, Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. and Sinclair Television Group, Inc. are not responsible for any liabilities arising directly or indirectly from the award or use of the prize.
9. In claiming your prize, you acknowledge that San Antonio Television, LLC, Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. and Sinclair Television Group, Inc. have the right to publicize your name, character, likeness, photograph, voice and the fact that you are the winner for promotional purposes without financial remuneration.
1. Complete contest rules are available Monday through Friday during normal business hours at KMYS/KABB/WOAI 4335 NW Loop 410, San Antonio, Texas 78229 or at www.cw35.tv.
2. For a list of prize winners, send a separate, self-addressed, stamped envelope to KMYS/KABB/WOAI 4335 NW Loop 410, San Antonio, Texas 78229 Attn: Scholar Athlete of the Year by December 31, 2014.
3. This contest is subject to all applicable laws and regulations and is void where prohibited. Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., Sinclair Television Group, Inc., San Antonio Television, LLC and sponsor(s) accept no responsibility or liability in connection with any injuries, losses or damages of any kind caused by or resulting from the acceptance, possession or use of any prize awarded hereunder.
4. Stations cannot be held liable for any lost or stolen entries, prizes or contest information.
5. Stations reserve the right to make rules and contest changes and change the aforementioned contest dates.